Things To Do in Oaxaca
There are so many things to do in Oaxaca; here are just a few:
- Have a coffee at one of the sidewalk cafés in the Zócalo and people watch.
- Eat at one of the many fantastic restaurants – try the Casa Crespo at #107 Allende where chef Oscar Carrizosa creates fantastic dishes using traditional ingredients.
- Visit one of the impressive ruins near Oaxaca City such as Monte Albán or Mitla.
- Visit one of the nearby artisan villages to see ceramics, alebrijes (fantastical, colorful wooden figures) and weavings are made. We recommend taking a Fundacion En Via trip to Teotitlán where your tour fee goes directly to helping the community.
- Have a drink at Bar del Borgo at #202 Murgía and listen to live jazz that plays almost every night.
- Visit the Museo de las Culturas Oaxaqueñas (Museum of Oaxacan Culture), in Centro Cultural Santo Domingo, next to the Santo Domingo church.
- Go to the Pochote organic market held on Fridays and Saturdays – and check out one of their free movies in the evenings.
- Try Oaxaca’s famous mezcal at the Los Amantes Mezcalería at #107 Allende. Owned by talented local artist Guillermo Olguín, it is beautifully decorated and stocks a wide range of hard to come by varieties of this peculiarly Oaxacan drink.
- Go horse riding around the Sagrada (Sacred) Mountain in Teotitlán, The Casa Sagrada takes small groups around the area that is followed by lunch on the terrace with a view over the valley.